By David McKinney
Wesco Insurance Agency
The seasons are changing, and the colors of autumn abound.
Regrettably, fall’s stunning display is often accompanied by some unwelcome weather hazards in Oklahoma– namely, wind – that can cause considerable damage to the very trees that produce those beautiful fall leaves.
At Wesco Insurance Agency we want your yard and home to stay great throughout the season.
Take a look at the following tips to ensure you keep your trees and shrubs healthy and avoid destruction that can result when the wind blows.
To protect existing trees:
• Bundle ‘em up. Go to a home and garden store and buy enough landscape fabric and plant ties to cover small trees and shrubs vulnerable to the changing weather. Wrap them up for the winter and then unwrap them after spring has sprung.
• Exercise pruning prowess. Proper pruning is essential to ensure trees can withstand winds, so make sure you use correct pruning techniques or hire a professional.
• Trees and more trees. If you have trees that are especially susceptible to wind, consider planting more trees. Experts say to choose trees, like conifers and evergreens, to create a windbreak. As an added bonus, a windbreak placed in correct proximity to a home can reduce energy costs by up to 30 percent. Keep in mind: conifers should be planted at least 20 feet away from a structure, evergreens at least 30 feet away.
When planting new trees:
• Know which way the wind blows. Pay attention to the wind patterns in your part of Oklahoma through the fall and winter seasons and how they affect your particular lot. Plant trees in areas where structures, such as your home, garage or shed, can serve to shelter them from the wind.
• Give them some space. Plant trees far enough away from structures and foundations. A smaller tree should have at least a 10-square-foot space to itself, and a larger tree needs at least 30 square feet.
At Wesco Insurance Agency we hope these tips will ensure that you and your yard hang tough all season long… even when the wind starts howling.
Give us a call at (405) 354-5201 or email us at email@example.com. We want to help you cover your assets.