After spring cleaning, Yukon residents now have a convenient option when deciding how to get rid of large junk items.
Yukon’s curbside “Big Junk” event is coming up during the third full week of April.
City of Yukon utility customers can leave bulk items at their curbs on Monday through Friday, April 19-23 for curbside pickup. This is a free service provided by Yukon Sanitation Services on each customer’s normal trash day.
Yukon residents are reminded only certain items will be accepted for free curbside bulk trash pickup:
- Household appliances – Non-freon; large and small.
- Furniture, mattresses and carpeting.
- Tree trimmings and branches – No longer than 4 feet, no larger than 6 inches in diameter. Residential only.
- Yard waste and loose debris – In disposable containers or heavy-duty plastic bags not exceeding 35 gallons or 50 pounds.
- Fence panels and other large items – Cut down into 4-foot-by-4-foot pieces.
- Glass and mirrors – Boxed or wrapped securely; clearly marked “glass” in large letters.
These items will NOT be accepted during the April 19-23 big junk curbside pickup:
- Refrigerators, freezers and air conditioners that used freon.
- Televisions and monitors.
- Batteries of any kind.
- Tires, waste oil and antifreeze – These items may be brought to a recycle event on Saturday, April 17 at 501 Ash.
- Hazardous substances – Acids, caustics, explosives, fertilizers, fuels, pressurized helium/propane tanks, paints, solvents, pesticides, poisons, and pool chemicals.
- Dirt, bricks, rocks, and concrete.
- Roofing materials and uncontained sheetrock.
- Typical household garbage – Place in poly cart for normal removal.
To ensure their bulk junk is picked up during the week of April 19-23, Yukon residents should not place any items within 10 feet of an overhead obstruction like trees and power poles.
They also should not place any items with 5 feet of any structure, such as poly carts, mailboxes, fences, and utility meters.
Further, Yukon utility customers should remove all portable basketball goals and any other items that are not disposal debris from the curb line.
Items left along the curb on pick-up day are subject to removal.
For more information on the curbside Big Junk event, contact Yukon Sanitation Services at (405) 354-4317 or yukonok.gov/bigtrash