By Conrad Dudderar
Yukon youth got to strut their mutts before an appreciative audience during a Kids Dog Show on June 25 at Kimbell Park.
Young participants ages 5-11 competed for prizes during the free summer event, the latest highlight of Yukon Parks & Recreation’s “Friday Fun Days” series.
“There is a need for these activities as people get out and enjoy the summer,” YPR special events coordinator Nick Rice said. “We have a lot of people showing up and encourage even more to come out on Fridays.
“We won’t have Fun Friday on July 2 because of Freedom Fest next weekend. We’ll return the following Friday with a mini-boot camp. It will be a lot of fun.”
Winning “Best of Show” at last Friday’s Kids Dog Show was Izzy, a five-year-old Boxer owned by Blake, Beckham and Brenna Israel of Yukon.
Izzy also took home blue ribbons in four other categories, Best Trick, Looks Most Like Owner, Best Kisser, and Largest Dog.
Other winners were:
Best Costume: Tanner the Shepherd mix, 9 years (owner Brier)
Best Behaved: Tuxedo the French Bulldog, 2 years (owner Paisley)
Smallest Dog: Marshmallow the Chihuahua, 1 year (owner Addison)
Attendees also won prizes in competitions including Best Dog Impersonation and Best Dancer.
Other entries were Buster, an eight-month-old Blood Hound (owners London and Drake) and Scooby, a six-month-old Whippet German Shepherd (owner Lillian).
MORE TO COME …
YPR Friday Fun Days skips this week due to the annual Freedom Fest celebration Saturday and Sunday, July 3-4 at Yukon City Park and Chisholm Trail Park.
Friday Fun Days return Friday, July 9. Here is a schedule and descriptions for remaining Friday summer events, all starting at 10 a.m.:
- Friday, July 9: Junior Boot Camp at Chisholm Trail Park, 500 W Vandament. This will be a fun-filling morning with interesting challenges and messy adventures. Veterans from the Yukon Veterans Museum will lead kids through physical and mental challenges of a mini-boot camp. Kids should wear clothes they don’t mind getting wet and dirty.
- Friday, July 16: Backyard Family Fun at Freedom Trail Park, 2100 S Holly. Families are invited to bring their kids for fun backyard games like ladder golf, corn hole, hop-scotch, and sidewalk chalk.
- Friday, July 23: STEM Project at Yukon City Park, 2200 S Holly. Kids will experience how fun (and messy) science, technology, engineering, and math can be. Participants should wear clothes and shoes they don’t mind getting food coloring on.
- Friday, July 30: Glow Party at Yukon Community Center, 2200 S Holly. Kids will have a glowing good time with music, lights and fun glowing party favors.
- Friday, Aug. 6: Mud Games Mania at Jackie Cooper Gym, 1024 E Main. Kids will come cool off and have some messy fun to conclude the 2021 Friday Fun Days.
Kids ages 5-11 years are invited to participate in the Friday Fun Days activities presented by YPR staff. These events are free to attend.
For more information on Friday Fun Days and other YPR summer events, call (405) 350-8937.