Ribbon cutting Aug. 27 for I-40/Frisco Road interchange

‘Really exciting opportunity for Yukon’, CM says during capital project update

479
A view looking east on Interstate 40 from the new bridge at Frisco Road. Yukon City Manager Tammy Kretchmar this week announced a ribbon cutting for the Frisco Road interchange will be Friday, Aug. 27. (Photo by Conrad Dudderar)

By Conrad Dudderar
Staff Writer

Yukon city and staff officials are due to “cut the ribbon” Friday, Aug. 27 to signal the opening of the Frisco Road/Interstate 40 interchange.

Yukon City Manager Tammy Kretchmar announced the official ribbon cutting date during a capital project update at the Aug. 3rd Yukon City Council study session.

“Construction is almost complete,” Kretchmar said.

“This is really an exciting opportunity for Yukon. This is going to open up economic development in that area.”

The $14.1 million interchange at I-40-mile marker 135 is a joint project of the Oklahoma Department of Transportation (ODOT) and the City of Yukon. The ODOT contractor, Sherwood Construction, began construction in September 2020 and is just a few weeks away from being done.

“Sherwood Construction has done a great job with this and they’re right on schedule,” Kretchmar added.

ODOT is paying 65% of the construction cost and the City of Yukon is covering the other 35%. The city also paid for the project design, utility relocation and right-of-way acquisition.

Sherwood Construction crews work on the north end of the new interchange overpass near the westbound ramps. They still must complete guardrails, sidewalks, signage, and striping. (Photo by Conrad Dudderar)

Kretchmar updated city council members this week on other ongoing capital projects:

State Highway 4 (Phase 2): Relocation of water and sewer lines between Main Street (SH-66) and Wagner Road is just weeks away from completion. An ODOT contractor will start construction in 2022 on phase two of this reconstruction and widening project; estimated cost is $11.5 million. The $13.1 million first phase, between Wilshire Road and Wagner, was finished this spring. A third phase, from Wilshire to SH-3 in Oklahoma City limits, is on ODOT’s 2023 construction schedule.

Garth Brooks Boulevard: Contractor Midstate Traffic Control is due to start next week installing video detection technology in traffic signals at five intersections from Vandament south to N.W. 10th. The work will take about 120 days. Cost is $169,800. This is the latest in a multi-phase project to improve traffic flow along the busy commercial thoroughfare.

11th Street: Contractor Schwarz Paving is set to begin in early September resurfacing 11th Street. Road improvements will be made in two sections – from Main Street (SH-66) to the south approach of the Union Pacific Railroad right-of-way; and from the north approach of the North Canadian River bridge to Wilshire. The project will take about 60 days. Cost is $842,745.74. The $600,000 first phase – between the railroad tracks and North Canadian River bridge – was finished in fall 2020.

Bass Bridge: Contractor Brewer Construction is making drainage improvements on the north side of the bridge between Kouba and Yuhoma. Cost is $25,067.46. Many broken limbs from the October 2020 ice storm ended up in drainage ditches along Turtle Creek.

Garth Brooks Trail: Construction started Aug. 2 on the south side of the project; a ribbon cutting was Tuesday before the council meeting (see related story).

Advertisement