Norman North hands YHS 3rd loss

Luke Harris strips the ball from Norman North’s Chapman McKown as Parker Means wraps him up for a tackle in the Millers’ 47-10 loss to the Timberwolves Friday night. (Photo by Chuck Reherman)

By Chuck Reherman
Sports Editor
Early in the second half, Yukon had positioned itself to make a run at picking up their first win of the season.
Norman North turned the tables on the Millers in the final 20 minutes.
Norman North scored 33 unanswered points in the second half and ran away with a 47-10 win over the Millers Friday night at Miller Stadium.
Yukon, 0-3, had scored to start the second half and cut the lead to 14-10 with a scoring drive and looked to have turned the momentum of the game. But, North answered with a scoring drive of their own then scored on their next four possessions to turn a close game into a runaway.
“I know it looks like you can just cut and paste from week to week, but we realized there will be some growing pains and we make some adjustments and we just have to keep working and improving everyday,” Miller head coach Marshall Hahn said. “I certainly thought I saw marked improvement across the board. The kids are keeping their heads up and us being able to mark out those improvements so they can keep their heads up and keep working.

Keaton Hahn runs for a first down against Norman North. (Photo by Chuck Reherman)

“We did a good job opening the second half, then had a three and out for the first time in the game,” he said. “It is never acceptable to go three and out, but we have to recover from than as well. I felt like we lost a little momentum there and when they scored again, now we are in a situation where we having to press a little more than we are wanting to. We turned it over on downs around midfield, but I felt we were in a point in the game where we had to go for it there.
“The of course, we give up another score and the interception for a touchdown let the air out of the balloon, but we felt we had to go for it there.”
The Miller defense had helped set up the touchdown early in the second half when Parker Means intercepted a Norman North pass at the Miller 21.
Six plays later, Keaton Hahn broke free for a 55-yard touchdown run that cut the lead to 14-10 with 8:25 remaining in the third quarter.
Norman North answered with a 34-yard touchdown pass from Gavin Frakes to Hayden Hack to push the lead to 20-10 with 4:48 remaining in the third.
Chapman McKown scored on a 25-yard run after a Miller punt and Frakes’ four-yard touchdown run put the game out of reach, 34-10 with 11:48 remaining.
A 35-yard interception return for a touchdown by Jake Tadlock less than a minute later made it a 41-10 lead.


The Millers had a chance to take the lead to open the game, but missed a 38-yard field goal.
The Millers did cut the lead to 7-3 late in the first half on a Gage Farha field goal, 7-3, with 3:12 remaining in the half.
“Both teams played a clean game and by the time you get to week three you feel you should have cleaned up a lot of mistakes to made in the first two games,” Hahn said. “We are getting to that point, we didn’t make the mistakes we did in the first game for the most part. We did get some defensive holding and pass interference calls on them that helped.”