By Conrad Dudderar
Yukon city officials are asking citizens to spare five minutes to “help us shape the future of Yukon.”
The Yukon City Council and city staff are seeking input from residents on Yukon’s current and future needs through the two-page 2021 Yukon Community Survey.
City of Yukon utility customers received copies of the survey with their September utility bills. Yukon residents are asked to fill out and return the survey or take it online at yukonsurvey.com
Surveys should be completed and returned by Oct. 31.
Respondents are asked to rate (on a scale of 1 to 5) their satisfaction with:
- The condition of major city streets, neighborhood streets and sidewalks;
- The quality of police, fire and EMS protection; sanitation, water, parks, recreation, and library services; city events and city facilities; and
- Effectiveness of the City of Yukon’s communication with the public.
Yukon citizens also are asked to rate the need for these possible future projects:
- Multi-generational and multi-use parks/facilities,
- New community center,
- New fire station on southwest side of Yukon,
- New public library,
- Resurfacing major city streets,
- Water and sewer infrastructure,
- New city hall with all city services in one location,
- Public art, and
- Veterans’ museum.
The survey asks citizens to rate the “overall importance” of a long list of projects – from an amphitheater and athletic fields to a dog park and outdoor aquatic center – to any future development of city-owned property at Frisco Road and Highway 66.
HOW TO FUND IT?
The Yukon City Council will consider calling a bond issue or sales tax election in 2022 to fund proposed capital improvement projects. Town hall meetings are planned after survey results are collected.
In the survey, Yukon residents are asked what their preferred potential funding source is for proposed future capital projects – sales tax increase, property tax increase or other.
Copies of the 2021 Yukon Community Survey may be accessed through the City of Yukon’s website, www.yukonok.gov.
The survey may be printed out and mailed to: City of Yukon Survey, P.O. Box 850500, Yukon, OK 73085.
It may be returned in person to: Mabel C. Fry Public Library, 1200 Lakeshore; Jackie Cooper Gym, 1024 E Main; Yukon City Hall, 500 W Main; and Yukon Community Center, 2200 S Holly.
Or it may be scanned and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org