11th Street project almost done in Yukon

State Highway 4 'phase two' utility relocation finished

254
11th Street has been resurfaced from Main Street (SH-66) north to Wilshire. (File photo)

By Conrad Dudderar
Staff Writer

An 11th Street resurfacing project in northwest Yukon is close to completion.

Contractor Schwarz Paving has made improvements along two sections – from Main Street (SH-66) to the south approach of the Union Pacific Railroad right-of-way; and from the north approach of the North Canadian River bridge to Wilshire.

“They still have the striping to do and a final ‘punch list’ is left to complete,” Yukon City Manager Tammy Kretchmar said at the Oct. 5th city council meeting.

This 11th Street improvement project, which has taken about two months, costs $842,745.74.

A $600,000 first phase – between the railroad tracks and North Canadian River bridge – was completed in fall 2020.

Meanwhile, final inspections of relocated water and sewer lines are done for phase two of the State Highway 4 project between SH-66 and Wagner Road.

The Oklahoma Department of Transportation is due to solicit contractor bids in November for construction of the second phase in 2022; estimated cost is $11.5 million.

The $13.1 million first phase, between Wilshire Road and Wagner, was finished this spring. A third phase, from Wilshire to SH-3 (N.W. Expressway) in Oklahoma City limits, is on ODOT’s 2023 construction schedule.

ODOT is making road and drainage improvements along Highway 4 between SH-66 and Northwest Expressway (SH-3). The state roadway is being rebuilt as a “super two-lane” with wide shoulders, new intersections and bridges.

PROJECT UPDATES

Kretchmar updated Yukon City Council members Oct. 5 on other ongoing projects:

  • Union Pacific Rail Crossings: Union Pacific crews are making repairs to its railroad crossings across Yukon. Roads are being closed to all traffic as work is done at the crossings. That has included Cornwell, Fifth Street, 11th Street, Frisco Road, and Richland Road.
  • Garth Brooks Trail: Contractor Parathon Construction started work Aug. 2 on a 10-foot-wide multi-use trail/sidewalk along the east side of Garth Brooks Boulevard between Vandament and SH-66. The project is due to be finished in January or February 2022. The City of Yukon is paying a 20% local share of the $839,423.48 cost. The other 80% is covered through a federal grant.
  • Frisco/I-40 Interchange: The new interchange in west Yukon is fully open to traffic as contractor Sherwood Construction completes some “punch-list” items. ODOT is paying 65% of the $14 million construction cost and the City of Yukon is covering the other 35%.
  • Garth Brooks Boulevard: A multi-phase project to improve traffic flow along the busy commercial thoroughfare has been completed. Contractor Midstate Traffic Control installed video detection technology in traffic signals at five intersections from Vandament south to N.W. 10th. Cost was $169,800. Previously, new turn lanes were installed onto the I-40 ramps.
  • Bass Bridge: Contractor Brewer Construction has finished drainage ditch improvements on the north side of the bridge between Kouba and Yuhoma. Cost was $25,067.46.

The next drainage channel project will be along Turtle Creek east of Kimbell Park after permits are approved by the Corp of Engineers. Cost is $128,559.96. Many broken limbs from the October 2020 ice storm ended up in drainage ditches along Turtle Creek.

Advertisement

PRISON LABOR REDUCTION

The number of state prisoners available for City of Yukon public works and maintenance projects has been reduced from 12 to eight.

The city council, at its Oct. 5th meeting, approved an addendum to the Prisoners Public Works Program contract between the Oklahoma Department of Corrections and the City of Yukon.

There will be fewer inmate laborers in Yukon because the state prison in Union City now houses more violent offenders. Only low-level, non-violent offenders are allowed in the Prisoners Public Works Program.

The City of Yukon needs the prison labor help because officials are having a challenging time hiring employees to fill job openings.