Yukon rolls past Westmoore to keep playoff hopes alive

Millers score final 17 points, pull away late

Eric Gold of Yukon lunges to stop Westmoore quarterback Jack Blice. (Photo by Blake Colston/Yukon Progress

Blake Colston
Sports Writer

MOORE – Momentum swings were the order of the night Friday at Moore Schools Stadium.

Yukon made sure the final shift went its way.

Quarterback Brayden Dutton ran for three scores – including two in the fourth quarter – as Yukon scored the final 17 points of the game and pulled away from Westmoore for a 40-21 win that helped keep the Millers’ playoff hopes alive.

“Our kids all year have never quit, whether it be in a game or week to week. We started 0-3, then we got off to hot start in district play. Then we lost three again. A lot of teams would’ve shut it down, but these guys didn’t,” Yukon head coach Marshall Hahn said. “That carried over to the game tonight. We had some opportunities to get down, but these kids just don’t have that in them and I appreciate that.”

Yukon’s defense tallied four sacks in the second half and recovered three fumbles in the game, all at critical times.

“The defense was huge in the momentum swings,” Dutton said. “We fed off them tonight.”

The Millers’ passing game was not in rhythm at times Friday, but their running game picked up the slack. Logan Day carried 15 times for 128 yards and Keaton Hahn added 87 yards on 15 carries with two scores. Dutton had a 57-yard touchdown run on the second play of the third quarter.

“We got loose on a couple of plays and the coaches did a good job of seeing a couple of ways they were trying to fit the option game,” Hahn said.

Yukon’s resiliency was tested, particularly in the second half. The Millers built a 23-7 lead, but Westmoore rallied to within 23-21 with 11:05 to play.

Yukon defensive back Riley King puts a hit on Westmoore tight end Connor Cavnar. (Photo by Blake Colston/Yukon Progress

Yukon answered with a methodical drive that ended on Gage Farha’s 30-yard field goal to extend the lead to 26-21.

On the ensuing kickoff, Shane Scott recovered a fumble and five plays later Dutton scored on a 2-yard run to put Yukon up 33-21 with 6:38 to play.

Brayden Brock ended Westmoore’s hopes of a late rally with a fourth down sack of Jack Blice to turn the ball over on downs at the Jaguar 24-yard line.

“Once we built a little bit of a lead they had to throw and we were able to dial up some pressures and be a little bit more committed to those types of things,” Hahn said.

Andre Williams put Westmoore in the lead on the opening possession of the game with a 13-yard rushing touchdown that capped a 14-play, 90-yard drive that drained almost seven minutes off the clock.

The Jaguars had a chance to increase their lead early in the second quarter after an interception from Mykel Patterson-McDonald gave Westmoore the ball at the Yukon 48-yard line, but Luke Harris forced a fumble that Logan Troxell recovered inside the Yukon red zone to stifle the threat.

“The defense really came up big there,” Dutton said.

The win combined with a Broken Arrow victory at Norman means that Yukon is playoff-bound if the Millers can win at last-place Edmond Memorial next Friday.

“That’s all you can ask for,” Hahn said. “We want to play games in late October and November that matter.”