YFD perfect in ‘surprise’ state inspection

No citations from state health department after unannounced visit

Yukon Fire Chief Shawn Vogt

By Conrad Dudderar
Staff Writer

Yukon firefighters passed a recent “surprise” inspection with flying colors.

The Oklahoma State Department of Health on Dec. 3, 2021, showed up – unannounced – to inspect the Yukon Fire Department.

About 3-1/2 hours later, state health inspectors had found the YFD was in full compliance.

“They told us they very rarely leave a place without any citations,” Yukon Fire Chief Shawn Vogt said. “It’s very humbling to achieve something like this.”

Health department officials inspected a wide range of items – such as mandatory training documentation, policies, licenses, EMT and CPR certifications, vehicle maintenance records, medical equipment, expiration dates on all medications, maintenance records on defibrillators, and much more.

“It’s a very extensive report and inspection,” Vogt explained. “Our guys do a great job documenting everything and making sure they take care of their daily checks.”

This surprise inspection covered both YFD headquarters, 1000 E Main; and fire station two, 302 S 5th.



The recent state health department inspection demonstrates the YFD’s proficiency in routine operations and procedures, officials said.

“We like responding to emergency calls and helping people, but there’s a lot more to it,” Chief Vogt noted. “We have to keep all our licenses, equipment, certifications, and training up-to-date.

“So, it’s nice to see we’re doing a good job on that. We’re staying prepared.”

Vice Mayor Rick Cacini congratulated Yukon Fire on the accomplishment.

“Earning a perfect score on this surprise inspection shows how things can be done,” Cacini said. “I always say our fire department is a number-one organization. They protect us and provide an invaluable service to our citizens.

“Not only do they respond when a fire alarm sounds, they also provide a free service by checking our smoke detectors. I’ve had many seniors at the Dale Robertson Center tell me that – thanks to the fire department – they learned their smoke detectors weren’t working, and the firefighters came out to fix them.”