By Cara Pattison
Whether a newbie or a novice, a gym full of young basketball lovers bounced off some Christmas Break energy on Thursday at the Annual Free Throw Contest. Hosted by the City of Yukon’s Parks and Recreation Department, the free event was held at the Jackie Cooper Gym, 1024 E. Main St.
The energetic, young participants were assigned to one of four divisions: 6-7 age boys and girls division, 8-9 boys and girls, 10-11, and 12-13 boys and girls groups.
Regardless of division, each participant tossed up 20 free throws, and those individuals making the most shots were the division champs. In the instance of a tie, there was a shoot-out.
First, second, and third place winners in each division were awarded a ribbon, and first place champions were handed an envelope containing a special invitation.
“As a result of their superior performance, the winners of each category are invited to compete against the winner of the Mustang Free Throw Contest during halftime at the boy’s high school basketball game at Yukon High school at 7:30pm on February 18, 2022,” Yukon Parks and Recreation Sports Program Specialist Patrick Langley said.
First place winners in each category were Parker Jump, 6-7 boys group, Madison Tribuzi, 6-7 girls, Kyson Griffin, 8-9 boys, Sadie Laverty, 8-9 girls, Axel Rowley, 10-11 boys, Clarke Schoonover, 12-13 boys, and Marlee Shaver, 12-13 girls group.
“Each winner and one adult of their choice will be allowed free entrance into the game. The winner of the Mustang-Yukon Free Throw Contest will not only receive a trophy to put on display, but also bragging rights as the best free throw shooter in their respective age bracket in the Yukon-Mustang area.”
- 6-7 age boys – Parker Jump (first place), Beckett Todd (second place), and James Bryant (third place)
- 6-7 age girls – Madison Tribuzi (first place)
- 8-9 boys – Kyson Griffin (first place), Luke Wedman (second place), and Trevon Warden (third place)
- 8-9 girls – Sadie Laverty (first place)
- 10-11 boys – Axel Rowley (first place), Cohen Kropf (second place), and Junior Laston
- 12-13 boys Clarke Schoonover (first place), Abraham Williams (second place), and Christian Plender (third place)
- 12-13 girls – Marlee Shaver (first place)
See photos in the Yukon Progress print edition.