By Conrad Dudderar
EL RENO – As their first official action of 2022, Canadian County Commissioners elected Dave Anderson to chair the three-member board.
County commissioners typically rotate chairmanship annually.
Anderson, of Mustang, is Canadian County’s District 2 commissioner. He’s in his fourth, four-year term after taking office in January 2009.
The board’s vice chairman for 2022 will be Marc Hader, the District 1 county commissioner.
The other member is District 3 Commissioner Jack Stewart, who was board chairman in 2021. He will be the board’s secretary for 2022.
Both the District 1 and District 3 seats are up for election in 2022. Filing period is April 13-15 and both Hader and Stewart are expected to file for new terms.
The Canadian County assessor and county treasurer also are up for election this year. Incumbents are Assessor Matt Wehmuller and Treasurer Carolyn Leck.
Filing fee for county offices is $300.
Also at the Jan. 3rd meeting, commissioners approved appointments of Commissioner Hader and Heidi Oliver to the Cardinal Point Trust that oversees Canadian County’s domestic violence center.
Hader replaces Anderson as the commissioners’ representative for 2022.
“I think it’s important that we all three have an active role in the management and functionality of that Cardinal Point trust,” Chairman Anderson told fellow commissioners.
A domestic violence survivor, Oliver was reappointed to another one-year term on Cardinal Point’s trust board.
“Heidi has done a great job and, really to a certain extent, become the ‘survivor face’ of Cardinal Point,” Assistant District Attorney Tommy Humphries said. “She’s just done an awesome job.”
Cardinal Point serves victims of domestic abuse, sexual assault, stalking, and child abuse. Canadian County opened Oklahoma’s fourth family justice center in early 2021.
THIS AND THAT ….
In other business at the weekly meeting Jan. 3, county commissioners approved:
- Amending a burn ban, extended 14 days to Jan. 17, due to extreme fire danger that exists in Canadian County. Outdoor burning has been prohibited since noon Dec. 20, 2021.
- Appointment of Commissioner Stewart to replace former Commissioner Phil Carson on the Canadian County Board of Health. The commissioners’ other appointee is Dr. Jim Brown.
- A resolution and notice of filing for the annual Canadian County Free Fair board election. The filing period will be Jan. 24-28 and the election is set Feb. 12 (if needed) for three seats on the nine-member board.
- Designating Commissioner Hader as their requisitioning officer and Kim Kaes and Brandi Weeres as receiving officers.
- A resolution allowing the Canadian County Sheriff’s Office to accept a $100 donation from Dennis Sorensen to be used for the K-9 program.