By Conrad Dudderar
Yukon school board’s post #3 seat will be up for election in 2023.
Yukon Public Schools’ Board of Education, at its monthly meeting Nov. 7, approved a resolution calling the election and a legal notice for the filing period.
Eligible candidates for post #3 are invited to file Wednesday through Friday, Dec. 5-7 at the Canadian County Election Board Office in El Reno. The office is now held by YPS Board Member Chris Cunningham.
If three or more candidates file for the position, there will be a primary election on Tuesday, Feb. 14.
A general election will be Tuesday, April 4 if only two candidates file – or if no candidate receives more than 50% of votes cast in the primary.
Polling places will be open from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. for the election(s).
The winner will be elected to the next five-year term on the five-member YPS Board of Education.
To be eligible for Yukon’s post #3 school board seat, a candidate:
- Must have lived within the geographical boundaries and been a registered voter of post #3 and YPS for at least six months preceding the first day (Dec. 5) of the filing period.
- Must have been awarded a high school diploma or certificate of high school equivalency.
- Cannot have been convicted of a misdemeanor involving embezzlement or a felony.
- Cannot be employed by the Yukon school district or be related to someone within the second degree by affinity or consanguinity employed by YPS.
For more details about requirements to serve on the YPS Board of Education, call the administration office at (405) 354-2587.
Cunningham, the post #3 YPS Board member, is a history teacher and assistant football coach in Mustang.
A retired Yukon police officer, Cunningham has a bachelor’s degree in criminal justice from the University of Central Oklahoma.
Other YPS Board of Education members are Suzanne Cannon (post 1), Leonard Wells (post 2), Brian Coulson (post 4), and Cody Sanders (post 5).
THIS AND THAT …
Two new administrators were introduced at the November YPS Board of Education meeting:
- YPS Food Service Director Chuck Thomas, general manager at Sodexo.
- Lakeview Intermediate School Assistant Principal Micah Sexton.
Among other items approved at the regular monthly meeting were:
- Adjunct applications for Jenny Faiella in Mid-Level English and Melissa Rippy in Advanced Mathematics.
- Three rental contracts to use the Yukon Fine Arts Center-Gene Cranfill Auditorium: To the Pointe on Dec. 14 and 16 for a dance recital, Jehovah’s Witnesses Circuit #7 on April 13 and 16 for an assembly, and Central Oklahoma Ballet on Dec. 2-4 for The Nutcracker.
- Three out-of-state travel requests for a wrestling tournament on Dec. 15-18 in Kansas City, Mo., a national choir competition on April 20-23, 2023, in Kansas City, Mo., and the National Association of Elementary School Principal conference on July 9-12, 2023, in National Harbor, Md.
YPS Board members met in executive session Nov. 7 to discuss confidential security plans to deter, prevent and protect from an act of terrorism.