By Conrad Dudderar
EL RENO – A $3.6 million remodeling project is underway at the future site of the Canadian County Health Department.
The inside of a 33,000-square-foot-building at 6100 E Hwy 66 is being renovated for the new county health clinic and offices.
In June 2022, Canadian County Commissioners spent $6 million in American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) federal stimulus funds to purchase the property near SH-66 and Evans Road.
The current Canadian County Health Department locations – at 1023 E Vandament in Yukon and 100 S Rock Island in El Reno – are due to relocate to the newly remodeled building in spring 2024.
The health department’s interior renovation project is expected to be finished “by the end of April,” Canadian County Commission Chairman Dave Anderson said.
Canadian County Commissioners, at their Oct. 9th meeting, approved a guaranteed maximum price amendment to an agreement between Lingo Construction Services and the Canadian County Health Department.
Lingo Construction was hired as construction manager for this project.
“Pursuant to the contract, they are to give us a maximum guaranteed price,” Anderson explained. “This is an amendment to that original agreement.
“The guaranteed ‘not-to-exceed’ price is $3,598,755.”
This construction project is being funded through a 1.56 mill levy (property tax) that Canadian County collects for the health department. The levy generates about $3 million annually, according to Anderson.
BID PACKAGES AWARDED
The guaranteed maximum price was finalized six weeks after commissioners awarded 15 bid packages to contractors for the Canadian County Health Department interior renovation project.
County commissioners, at a special meeting Aug. 31, approved bid proposals for:
- Selective demolition – Jancarlo Construction ($42,600).
- Millwork and countertops – Nexspaces ($481,183).
- Doors, frames and hardware – LDS Building Specialties ($98,003)
- Glass and glazing – Associated Glass ($115,100)
- Framing and drywall – Mitchell Acoustics and Drywall ($380,350)
- Flooring and tile – Bryan’s Flooring ($202,000)
- Paintings and wall coverings – Advanced Commercial Painting ($102,982)
- Signage – Takeform ($11,400)
- Walkway coverings – Burgess Company ($265,200)
- Window shades – Contract Drapery ($49,225)
- Fire suppression – Control Fire ($47,609)
- Plumbing – Waggoners Mechanical ($197,277)
- Heating, venting and air conditioning – Tankco MEP ($290,000)
- Electrical – King Electric ($551,700).
- Audio Visual Systems – High Tech Tronics ($38,990).
Project architect is MA+ Architecture, LLC. The company’s fee is 6% of the construction price,
The future Canadian County Health Department site was formerly part of the El Reno Halliburton plant, which closed in December 2019 when the company relocated most of the operations to its Duncan field plant.
The building is on the south side of Highway 66 just west of Canadian Valley Technology Center.