By Conrad Dudderar
Yukon Public Schools has announced its district “Teacher of the Year” finalists for the 2023-24 school year.
These site winners were selected by their peers at their schools:
- Central Elementary – Kristen Martin
- Myers Elementary – Samantha Pierce
- Parkland Elementary – Kim Grant
- Ranchwood Elementary – Lindsey Willetts
- Shedeck Elementary – Lauren Kellett
- Skyview Elementary – Aaron Rios
- Surrey Hills Elementary – Maddison Fletcher
- Independence Intermediate – Beth Quintana
- Lakeview Intermediate – Alexis Patric
- Redstone Intermediate – Kara Wells
- Yukon Middle School – Caitlin Gardner
- Yukon High School – Erin Lucas
The 12 honorees were recognized during surprise presentations at their individual school sites. They will be honored for their accomplishment during the Dec. 4th YPS Board of Education meeting.
THE NEXT STEP
The dynamic dozen will compete next spring for the title of YPS District Teacher of the Year.
A YPS committee will review portfolios submitted by the 12 site representatives and interviewed finalists before selecting the district winner.
The reigning YPS Teacher of the Year is Stephanie Parker, a library media consultant at Redstone Intermediate School.
The announcement is made each spring at Yukon’s annual Teacher of the Year “Event.”
The Yukon school district has had two Oklahoma state Teacher of the Year winners – Rebecca Oglesby in 2019 and Jane Kennedy in 1985.
Eight YPS teachers have been state finalists – Keri Smith in 2020, Kayleen Browning in 2009, Karen Evans in 2004, Julia Wilhite in 2002, Mac DeVilbiss in 1999, Kathy Davis in 1998, Linda Knox in 1996, and Susie Grimes in 1995.
The Yukon school district also annually awards a “Rookie Teacher of the Year” and “Support Employee of the Year”.